The Homewood Campus is located in North Baltimore, near the neighborhoods of Charles Village, Hampden, and Roland Park. Homewood is bound by Charles Street to the east and University Parkway to the north.  Most students live in apartments and row houses along these and adjacent corridors.

Because on-campus housing is very limited, Johns Hopkins has reserved single rooms in shared apartments for our Visiting International and Exchange Students. The apartments are located in a new, university-owned building named “9 East 33rd” – which also happens to be the address of the complex. The apartment building is located in Charles Village and is one-block from the Homewood Campus. (www.nineeast33rd.com)

Rooms in “9 East 33rd” are assigned by the Office of Study Abroad.  Students are encouraged to submit their housing applications (PDF) to jhuvisp@jhu.edu upon acceptance to the university, as spaces are limited.

Leases for rooms in 9 East 33rd are provided for the duration of your academic program (semester or academic year) and fees are billed on a semester basis through your JHU student account.  The semester housing fees for 9 East 33rd are comparable to single accommodations in the JHU dorms.  All apartments in 9 East 33rd are fully furnished, including washers and dryers in each apartment.  All utilities and internet services are included in the semester rental fees.  Full-year students will have access to their apartments over university breaks and holidays.  Actual semester housing fees vary from year to year, but per person approximations are:

Term Cost
Fall semester (Late August through Mid-December $5,000 per semester
Spring semester (Late January through Late May) $5,000 per semester
Summer (Early June through July 31) $2,000 per summer term

Students should plan to arrive at Johns Hopkins on the move-in date provided in your admissions letters. If you arrive prior to the move-in date, you will be responsible for finding temporary housing until your lease begins.

If you wish to find independent, off-campus housing, you must contact the Office of Study Abroad and sign an independent housing waiver. In some cases, you will also need to obtain permission from your home institution or third-party provider.  Once you signed the independent housing waiver, the JHU Off-Campus Housing Office provides comprehensive services to students looking for independent, off-campus housing.

You are not required to purchase a meal plan, but some students find it convenient to have access to dining halls. A variety of meal plans are available for VIS Program students.

Review the Meal Plan Options

There are cafes, cafeterias, markets, and grab-and-go eateries throughout the campus. You may want to consider a meal plan with flexible Dining Dollars, or, at the least, plan to put cash on your J-Card to use a dining locations.