After you return from your semester, summer, or intersession abroad, your provider or school abroad will send a copy of your study abroad transcript to Johns Hopkins. You will receive an email from Dr. Citti confirming that she has received your transcript, and you will be asked to contact the Office of Study Abroad to schedule a meeting. During this meeting, Dr. Citti will instruct you on how to complete the transfer of credit form. Please follow all instructions in order to successfully receive academic credit for your work abroad.

Here are the steps in the Transfer of Credit Process:

  1. The Study Abroad Office will receive your official transcript from the provider/university abroad.
  2. Following receipt of your official transcript, Director of JHU Study Abroad Dr. Citti will send you an email asking you to complete a web-based evaluation of the program abroad and to contact the Study Abroad Office at to make an appointment to meet with her.
  3. Dr. Citti and the Registrar’s Office will post the courses and credits on SIS.
  4. At the appointment with Dr. Citti, you and she will discuss the program, credit evaluation and transfer of credit toward your Hopkins degree.
  5. If you need a course to fulfill major/minor requirements, Dr. Citti will give you a packet of information to take to the Director of Undergraduate Studies for your major/minor. The packet will include:
    • Copy of course pre-approval form
    • Transcript from the program abroad
    • Credit evaluation form completed by Dr. Citti that has already been submitted to the Registrar
  6. If the Director of Undergraduate Studies agrees to accept the course/s for major/minor requirements, he/she will assign the course to the appropriate slot on your degree audit checklist in SIS.

Do not worry if you have not received an email from Dr. Citti. Many transcripts from abroad take a long time to arrive, and a late-arriving transcript does not necessarily signify a problem. However, if you have not received an email by mid-October (for spring study abroad students) or mid-March (for fall study abroad students), please contact the Office of Study Abroad.

  • You WILL be able to register for classes without having completed Junior Clearance if you are currently abroad. Advising holds in SIS will be lifted for students abroad prior to registration.
  • Once you have returned from study abroad and received notification to complete Junior Clearance, schedule a meeting with your faculty advisor. THIS CAN BE DONE PRIOR TO THE TRANSFER OF CREDITS FOR COURSE WORK COMPLETED FROM STUDY ABROAD.
  • When meeting with your faculty advisor, your advisor needs to log into the degree audit program.
  • Discuss with your faculty advisor the course work you completed while you were abroad. Your faculty advisor may make notes in the “Comments” section of the degree audit in reference to your course work abroad.
    • Example Comment: History course abroad may be used to fulfill H elective requirement in major.
  • During this meeting, make sure your advisor “shares” the audit such that you can see it in Communicator when you log in later. This is how your advisor is “signing” your audit. This is REQUIRED.
  • Following your meeting with your faculty advisor, apply to graduate:
    • Log in to SIS
    • Go to Registration
    • Go to Program of Study
    • Click on link “Apply to Graduate”
    • Complete and submit (electronically) the application online
    • Print a copy of the submitted application
  • Bring the printed copy of the application for Junior Clearance to Academic Advising.